Thursday, October 07, 2004

Ladder 49

I won't be called a blog addict for nothing hehehe.
(Side note: Yehey! I'm going to be featured as a blog addict at http://you.inq7.net/! Not yet though...sometime soon hehe Ü. Watch out for it!)

Just got back from watching the premiere of the new John Travolta firefighter movie -Ladder 49. It's rather late but I'm itching to share the experience with you. I'll try to keep it short 'coz I'm so ready to hit the bed any minute now.

We got three tickets to the premiere for free 'coz my dad happens to be a member of the volunteer fire brigade. Hmm...come to think of it, this is a new perk for having a volunteer dad, aside from knowing firsthand where the fire is at whenever we hear firetruck sirens going off. Before the movie started, as with all premiere events, there were hosts to entertain the audience. In line with the movie, there were volunteers from fire brigades who taught us a thing or two about fire survival tips. I might forget them later on so I'll take note of it here (yea right, as if I'll go online the next time there's a fire just to be able to recall what to do, haha!) The first tip was STOP, DROP, and ROLL (that's when your clothes catch fire, don't forget to cover your face though). The other one was - hmm.............there goes my goldfish memory...

About the movie...don't worry, I won't play the spoiler and tell the entire story, just the ending, hehe just kidding! I found the movie a bit typical and at times even dragging. Despite my not-so-good comments, I still found the movie rather good. The ending, although highly expected, and the whole idea of the movie were enough to cover up some rough spots to redeem it as a "rather-good" movie. It's just the kind of thing we have to see to remind of the ordinary heroes around us - people just like firefighters who are willing to put their lives at stake just to be able to save another person's. The movie was successful in showing the joys, the thrills, the pains, and the gains of their job. These people are ordinary men and women just like you and me. They too have a future to think of and families to be there for but what makes them run towards a burning building when everyone else is running away? John Travolta's character, in his speech towards the end, answered that question. It is simply because of courage. It is what spells the difference and it is what we should be thankful for - their courage to put OUR lives before their own.
To these people, a heartful thanks.

Zzzz....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home